Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Login
   
background image background image background image
fulls
logo Rhodes
AEGEAN ISLANDS

The Acropolis of Ialyssos

Ialyssos was the hometown of the Olympic champion Diagoras, and one of the three “superpowers” of ancient Rhodes, along with Lindos and Kamiros. Its exact location is not known. The excavations have brought to light several small settlements and cemeteries (the oldest evidence of habitation in the area dates back to the end of the 3rd millennium BC), but no big cities. Given that the findings are spread over a large area, archaeologists speculate that Ialyssos consisted of many rural settlements (demoi), which had a common acropolis. The city began to decline after Rhodes was founded and it was completely destroyed probably in 155 AD by an earthquake. The acropolis is situated on the hill of Filerimos, in front of the monastery of Kira tou Filerimou (Our Lady of Filerimos).
add
It is one of the most important early settlements with organized urban plan that have been identified in the Greek territory. It was inhabited for approximately 100 years, from 650 to 550 BC, and it was of military nature, since it was the last port of the eastern Aegean
map add mapadd

Ancient Kamiros

It was the smallest of the three powerful cities on the island before the city of Rhodes was founded. The legend has it that the city was founded by Kamiros (or Cameirus), son of Cercaphus and grandson of Helios. The first signs of habitation in the wider region date back to the Mycenaean era. After 408 BC (founding year of Rhodes), Kamiros went into decline and it vanished forever in the 2nd century AD, probably due to the earthquake in 155 AD. During the Turkish rule, there were only fields at the location where the archaeological site is found today. The location, however, was called Kabiros, a place name that created suspicions to English and French archaeologists, who began their research. Indeed, after the excavations, which started in 1852 and were completed in 1864, one of the most characteristic cities of the Hellenistic period was once again brought to light.
map add mapadd
Next to the archaeological site of the acropolis of Ialyssos is located the monastery of Kira tou Filerimou (Our Lady of Filerimos). It is said that it was built in the 14th century by a wealthy Knight, who lived there as a hermit; hence, the name “Filerimos” derives, which means “he who loves solitude”. Outside the fenced area of the monastery of Kira tou Filerimou Golgotha starts, a path that leads to the other side of the hilltop. On the right side, every few meters there is a stone shrine. There are 14 shrines in total and they all have a copper engraving representing the Passion of Jesus. They were designed by the Italian sculptor Antonio Mairani.
map add mapadd

The Acropolis of Rhodes (Monte Smith)

The acropolis of Rhodes does not have a defensive character, like other acropolises of Greek cities. On the contrary, it was rather a zone of monuments with temples, underground places of worship, parklands, stadiums, gymnasiums, odeons... It is situated at the highest point of the city, on the hill of Monte Smith. The excavations began in 1924 by the Italians and one of the most important monuments brought to light was the Doric temple of Pythian Apollo (the Italians restored the four columns that are now standing). The ancient stadium, which is located under the temple of Apollo and has been entirely restored, was built in the 2nd century BC. A number of visitors choose to go for a jog or to exercise there.
map add mapadd

The Acropolis of Lindos

The acropolis of Lindos stands at the top of a sheer rock, 116 meters above sea level, surrounded by the walls that the Knights built. It occupies an area of approximately 8,400 meters and it was the most strongly fortified site on Rhodes. The first impressive monument you will come across on your way up is the stern of a ship carved into the rock, a work made by the sculptor Pythokritos (2nd century BC). Another work also accredited to Pythokritos is the famous Nike of Samothrace (the Winged Victory of Samothrace), which is now displayed at the Louvre Museum. The Rhodians had dedicated the sculpture to the sanctuary of the Cabeiri in Samothrace, after their victory over Antiochus in 190 BC.
map add mapadd
Calendar
March  2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31
<< >>
My Aegean
EU
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund
ESPA