Your browser does not support JavaScript!

background image background image background image
logo Mykonos

Mykonos Town

Chora, the glamorous capital of the island, with the mills and Little Venice as its trademark, is a real gem with wonderful architecture. An ancient city was situated southeast of Chora’s current location. During the Geometric and Archaic period, there was a cemetery at the western border of the settlement. The ancient city must have been abandoned during the 6th or 7th century, due to pirate raids. A new period for Chora seems to have begun after 1207, when the island came under Venetian rule. The town formed around the castle which was built in a fortified location with wells, between the bays of Tourlos and Korfos. Since the late 17th century, Chora expanded east and south of the castle and the neighborhoods of Parikia, Scarpa, Alefkandra (Little Venice), Lakka and Matoyiannia were formed. Towards the end of the 20th century, the urban zone expanded to the neighboring hills due to tourism development.             
map add mapadd

Little Venice

The district of Alefkandra (between Scarpa and the castle), where the foundations of most of the houses are buried deep underwater, is called Little Venice. It is the most photographed and popular district of Chora and this is the place where you will enjoy a spectacular sunset. The bay is called Alefkandra, a word that derives from the Greek verb “lefkeno’ (to whiten), because the women of Mykonos washed their clothes on this beach since the ancient times! The coastal houses, which were built in the middle of the 18th century, belonged to wealthy Mykonian merchants and seafarers. There are many taverns, cafés and bars in the area today.     
map add mapadd

The Lower Mills

South of Chora, between Alefkandra and the district of Niochori, seven mills overlooking the sea dominate the surrounding landscape. There used to be ten of them in the past. They were used to grind cereals until the early 20th century taking advantage of the north winds that blow over the island.   
map add mapadd
The main entrances to the settlement are two: in front of the building of the Hellenic Telecommunications (OTE), where the starting point of buses towards the eastern beaches is located, and the other one is in Fambrika where the buses start from towards

The Pelicans

A pelican fell next to a Mykonian caïque during a storm in 1958. A fisherman took care of it and brought it to the port where all the fishermen gathered to feed it and named it Petros. In the next 30 years, Petros, the pelican, managed to become the main attraction of Chora and the symbol of the island! When Jackie Onassis came to the island on vacation in the ‘60s, she brought a female pelican that the fishermen named Irini along with her. Petros was killed by a car in 1986. A few years later, the zoo of Hamburg donated another pelican to the island, which was once again named Petros by the Mykonians. Another pelican called Nikolas arrived to the island in1995. There are still many pelicans in Chora today… posing undisturbed for the visitors to take pictures of them.  
July  2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
<< >>
My Aegean
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund