Your browser does not support JavaScript!

background image background image background image
logo Antiparos

The cave of Ai Giannis

The cave on the hill of Ai Giannis Spiliotis (St. John of the Cave), which is one of the largest in the Aegean, is worth visiting.* The cave is located 171m above sea level and covers an area of approximately 5.600m2. It is engulfed, with a maximum depth of 50m, a maximum length of 89m and a maximum width of approximately 70m. Its arched entrance is 20m wide and the roof is 8m high. The chapel of Ai Ioannis Spiliotis is located at its right side. The vestibule is 22m long, 25m wide and 8m high. It has three levels and the “secret hall” is separated from the vestibule by an enormous stalagmite that has other stalagmites resembling statues on both sides. The walls of the cave, adorned with stone complexes, are awe-inspiring. The most important formation is the so-called “agia trapeza” (altar), with a periphery of 18m and a height of 6m. The hall of “stone waterfalls” and the umbrella-shaped stalagmite are quite interesting. Numerous inscriptions are carved on its walls dating from the antiquity to the recent past. Archilochos, the name of whom is carved on the walls, is considered to be the earliest visitor of the cave of Antiparos. In 1673, the French ambassador Marquis de Nouadel entered the cave using ropes and performed a mass on Christmas Eve over the stalagmite looking like an altar. He was accompanied by painters, builders, designers and monks who stayed in the cave for three days and immortalized their presence there by carving inscriptions on the rock in Latin. The inscription of king Otto who visited the site in 1840 is impressive.   * Source: Atlas of the geological monuments of the Aegean/Publication of the Ministry of the Aegean, 2002,   Info -The temperature of the cave during winter is 15 degrees Celsius and the humidity is 65%. - It is 9km away from Kastro.   
map add mapadd

The geo-technological monument of Antiparos

Limonite ore, from which iron containing pockets of azurite and zinc are extracted, can be found on the western slopes of Profitis Ilias of Antiparos. The Greek Mining Company began mining operations in 1873 and started mining zinc from Kaki Skala. In 1900 the mines were taken over ​​by the French Company of Lavrion which constructed a railway in order to transport the minerals to the sea. The mining activity ceased between 1952 and 1956. There are iron mines that are abandoned now at Chatzovouni and Mpatagies, lead mines at Agios Georgios and Renieri and manganese mines at Manganies.   * Source: Atlas of the geological monuments of the Aegean/Publication of the Ministry of the Aegean, 2002,      
August  2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
<< >>
My Aegean
Co-financed by Greece and the European Union - European Regional Development Fund